SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > '03-'04 Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Strad

Shifters

Thought I was being smart switching to a Steeda Tri-Ax for my 04 Cobra.
However it is very notchy. By that I mean it shifts as though it's an old Ferrari with the super defined shift gates. No you can't miss third,,,but ya can miss fourth,
Plus the actual shift of the transmission is no longer smooth but rather like a two step, snick-snick from first to second and second to third etc.
I wonder if this isn't a lack of leverage due to the shorter shifter, because it feel more transmission than shifter and nothing has changed there.
Now I'm wondering if the MGW is actually any better, especially in that regard? Anybody think the Shifter Bob gasket really makes a difference?
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Cobra4me
R&R4ever

Send a message via AIM to Cobra4me
couldnt read so I changed the color for you. I had a MGW on my 04. As far as I am coincerned it is the best period.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
cobrabitn
Dr Jekyll on the street, Mr Hyde on the track

Send a message via AIM to cobrabitn
I have never used shifter Bob gaskets so I cannot help there, sorry.

2016 Ruby Red Metallic with Caribou accent F-350 Crew Cab

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

2013 Race Red Boss 302 Coupe - track car!

No mods yet!

2009 Vista Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe - Garage Queen

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

1994 Rio Red Indy Pace Car #22 "Runabout"

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Boss 302 is better than nothing!

Custom Data Plates for your Mustang or Ford!

Buy "Cool Merchandise" at Data Plates Plus
www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
cobrabitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Strad

thanks..reckon I'll pop another $180
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
smashedheadcat

Send a message via AIM to smashedheadcat
The T-56 is just a notchy transmission. You can play around with different fluids and shifters, but there will be a little "notch" in there. The OEM shifter has a rubber bushing between the plate and the handle, with (like you said) a longer throw that takes some of the "notch" feel out of it. As for feeling more "transmission" than shifter, that's what aftermarket shifters do. The get rid of the rubber bushing and gets rid of the slop. It doesn't come without an increase in NVH (noise vibration harshness).

As for Bob's shifter gaskets, I don't think they make much difference personally, but many people like them. I don't mind using RTV so I just stick to that. Going to the MGW shifter could possibly make an improvement with all your complaints, but it won't be as quiet or as vibration free as the original piece.

Personally, I like the PRO-5.0 shifter with an offset handle bracket, it's got a short throw, stiff centering spring, and it's very solid feeling. I understand that it's not for everyone though.

2003 Oxford White Cobra Coupe
Twin Turbo
Solid Axle
Automatic
Return Fuel System

1997 Triple Black Cobra Convertible
Forged and Blown. 511rwhp 398 rwtq
*Sold*
smashedheadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Strad

Thanks for the input Smashedheadcat..I don't mind the NHV part..It was expected.
What I really appreciate is the info about the T56. I only have two friends with Cobras and they both are stock in the shifter department.
To know that a lot of what I'm feeling is natural to that transmission.
Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
OSUALUM78

Get an MGW and don't look back. It's the best shifter out there. I had a CobraBob's gasket on my previous car (04 Mach 1) and it was awesome in the ease of use (no more RTV) but it deteriorated on me and my 3650 pushed some fluid out. On my Cobra when I did my swap to MGW, I just used RTV. The gasket is quality, but where I live I see 105+ in the summer, and anywhere down to 5-10 degree in the winter.
Build #2224 of 8394
Born: 08/19/02

Mods:
- Suspension: complete FTBR IRS kit with FRPP differential cover, H&R Race Springs, MM FLSFC's, MM CC plates
- Driveline: MGW shifter, Fiore clutch quadrant, Fiore firewall adjuster
- Cooling: Lethal/Moroso rad & I/C tanks, Reische 170 T-stat, Afco Pro Series H/E, Evenflow Gen II DS head cooling mod, LFP heat extractor hood vents
- Exhaust: MAC ceramic coated LT's, MAC O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder SS cat-back, MRT 3.5" polished rolled tips, Lethal EGR delete
- Brakes: FTBR 13" HD front race rotor, FTBR 13" conversion rear rotor, Russell SS brake lines, Hawk ceramic pads, Motul RBF600 fluid
- Other: SCT SF3, FRPP chrome coil covers (Ford Racing logo painted black), gloss black powdercoated valve covers, MRT hood struts, a bunch of MGW underhood/interior billet pieces, Stainless Steel Inserts COBRA logo bumper inserts, FRPP Cobra logo floormats, 8" antenna, FRPP locking gas cap, black Ford oval trunk lid emblem, 5% tint and windshield strip

Jamie: custom pedal mountain bike built by me
Bettie: 2004 Black Mach 1 (sold)

My supercharger goes:

OSUALUM78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Mystic_Cobra
NASA American Iron #16

I used the Pro 50 on my T45 with the MGW handle. I really like it. I kept breaking T45s so I went with the T56 magnum. I like the White Lightning shifter that I got for mt T56. Not sure if they make one for the regular T56.
Jimmy Bost #00539
American Iron #16 Ford Mustang Cobra
Mystic_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
OSUALUM78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra View Post
I used the Pro 50 on my T45 with the MGW handle. I really like it. I kept breaking T45s so I went with the T56 magnum. I like the white lightning shifter that I got for it, too. Not sure if they make one for the regular T56.
I'm getting ready to upgrade to a D&D Magnum. I read that an MGW will not work for a Magnum.... but there is an aftermarket shifter that does? I've read that the shifter that comes on the Magnum is pretty nice, but I'm not fond of having to get rid of my MGW...
Build #2224 of 8394

Mods:
- Suspension: complete FTBR IRS kit with FRPP differential cover, H&R Race Springs, MM FLSFC's, MM CC plates
- Cooling: Lethal/Moroso rad & I/C tanks, Reische 170 T-stat, Afco Pro Series H/E, Evenflow Gen II DS head cooling mod, LFP heat extractor hood vents
- Exhaust: MAC ceramic coated LT's, MAC O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder SS cat-back, MRT 3.5" polished rolled tips, Lethal EGR delete
- Brakes: FTBR 13" HD front race rotor, FTBR 13" conversion rear rotor, Russell SS brake lines, Hawk ceramic pads, Motul RBF600 fluid
- Other: SCT SF3, FRPP chrome coil covers (Ford Racing logo painted black), gloss black powdercoated valve covers, MRT hood struts, a bunch of MGW underhood/interior billet pieces, Stainless Steel Inserts COBRA logo bumper inserts, FRPP Cobra logo floormats, 8" antenna, FRPP locking gas cap, black Ford oval trunk lid emblem, 5% tint and windshield strip

My supercharger goes:

Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Mystic_Cobra
NASA American Iron #16

Based on my research, the White Lightning shifter is the only aftermarket shifter available for the T56 Magnum. It has a multi-position handle so no other handle is needed.
Jimmy Bost #00539
Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
OSUALUM78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra View Post
Based on my research, the White Lightning shifter is the only aftermarket shifter available for the T56 Magnum. It has a multi-position handle so no other handle is needed.
Can you give any comparo on WL vs MGW? I was just going to run the shifter that comes on the D&D Magnum and slap on a MGW handle (will give adjust for reach and tilt). Do you know why the Magnum won't accept any other aftermarket shifter?
Build #2224 of 8394

Mods:

My supercharger goes:

Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
OSUALUM78

Wouldn't the MGW for the 2010- present GT500's work on a Magnum (Tremec 6060 being the tranny used there. From what I understand a Magnum T56 is basically a 6060 with a T56 bell....
Build #2224 of 8394

Mods:

My supercharger goes:

Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
Mystic_Cobra
NASA American Iron #16

I don't know the differences. I'd suggest you try the stock shifter and then consider a change if you don't like it.
Some tech details:
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Techn...s_improved.htm
http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...x/viewall.html
Jimmy Bost #00539
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
OSUALUM78

Yeah I should do that... but I'm gonna give MGW a ring and see what they say too...
Build #2224 of 8394

Mods:

My supercharger goes:

Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
cobrabitn
Dr Jekyll on the street, Mr Hyde on the track

Send a message via AIM to cobrabitn
Ask for George when you give them a call.

2016 Ruby Red Metallic with Caribou accent F-350 Crew Cab

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

2013 Race Red Boss 302 Coupe - track car!

No mods yet!

2009 Vista Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe - Garage Queen

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

1994 Rio Red Indy Pace Car #22 "Runabout"

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Boss 302 is better than nothing!

Custom Data Plates for your Mustang or Ford!

Buy "Cool Merchandise" at Data Plates Plus
www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
cobrabitn is offline   Reply With Quote