SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Pick your poison > American Iron/AV8SS/Grand Am Cup
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2003, 10:12 PM   #1
Black Horse
Hyper-Performance Inc.

Send a message via AIM to Black Horse
Question Hoosier Virgin needs help

No...its not what you are thinking, I'm not even from Indiana...

Next week is my first time out on Hoosiers (this ought to be a real experience over street tires). Any recommendations for cold/hot tire pressures and any hints to help me loose my track tire cherry?

I'm running the 16" 255/50's r3s03 - already scuffed and cycled.
- Dave SCMC #350
1999 Black Coupe #11 "Sir Pent"
1995 R spec NASA IN/OH AI #46

"Racing to Make a Difference" - please support the Whiz Kids Tutoring and Mentoring www.citygospelmission.org/whizkids.html

Hyper-Performance Motorsports Inc.
Custom Graphics and Custom Designed Racing Equipment
(513)892-2038 hyperperform@aol.com
www.hyperperformancemotorsports.com
Black Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:18 AM   #2
AI/X #08

In my AGS car I run 41 front and 40 rear cold. This ends up around 49 and 48 with the left intermitently a little higher. In my extreme car, I run 40 and 39 with the same hot temps. It has an SLA and doesn't need the air pressure as badly. Mark
AI/X #08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:27 AM   #3
Cobra-R
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Cobra-R
Quote:
Originally posted by AI/X #08
In my AGS car I run 41 front and 40 rear cold. This ends up around 49 and 48 with the left intermitently a little higher. In my extreme car, I run 40 and 39 with the same hot temps. It has an SLA and doesn't need the air pressure as badly. Mark
What does your car weigh? I was always told to run around 36-38lbs Hot, since I increased the pressure up to the range you are mentioning, my tire wear has decreased dramatically.
Cobra-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:44 AM   #4
kevin

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra-R
What does your car weigh? I was always told to run around 36-38lbs Hot, since I increased the pressure up to the range you are mentioning, my tire wear has decreased dramatically.
and your speed.....opps. wrong forum
http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Users/Darth.jpg
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
svt_coupe
Bryan Shugg

Send a message via AIM to svt_coupe
Hoosiers require a bit more air pressure than a typical DOT RR tire. I used to run 38F/35R COLD. The results were pretty good. That is with a nearly stock suspension (at the time) on a lowered Mustang with -2.5 camber and around +5 degrees of caster.

Check this out:

http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

Shugg
#67 American Iron East
svt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:50 PM   #6
Black Horse
Hyper-Performance Inc.

Thumbs up Thanks!

I appreciate all of the guidance.

Anything I should look out for or expect moving up from the street tires to the Hoosiers? (other than some improvement in laps times I hope)
- Dave SCMC #350

"Racing to Make a Difference" - please support the Whiz Kids Tutoring and Mentoring www.citygospelmission.org/whizkids.html

Old 06-06-2003, 03:18 PM   #7
AI/X #08

As some good folks here have mentioned, there are some discrepencies with Hoosiers. When I ran my Goodyears in my AGS car, which weighs around 2900 without me, I ran 34 -32 cold. The hoosiers just liked more pressure. I started at the same pressures, and just kept going up. I might be a little high with the Extreme car since it's and SLA car, but another car that is an SLA car that is extremely quick runs even higher pressures. It all depends on your car, and you'll have to do some tire temps to know for sure, but it seems you have some good starting points. Mark
AI/X #08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 04:15 PM   #8
Cobra-R
Super Moderator

I always resisted raising the pressure because it seemed that the tires would start feeling funny when I got above 40 lbs cold. I would chicken out and back the pressure back down.

From Shuggs link I saw this:

"Higher pressures will improve the performance capability but will require a more sensitive feel to take advantage of the increase.

One characteristic of the tires is the tendency to "skate" initially (when inflation pressures are correct). It is important to resist lowering the pressure to attempt to eliminate this feeling. Dropping the pressure may improve the "feel" of the tire however it will also lower the performance and increase the wear on the tire, particularly on the outside tread edge."

That explains a ton right there.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:39 PM   #9
HistoricMustang

Black Horse....................on what to watch for when moving up from street tires. I use the Hoosier Bias Ply on my early model (it is very much needed) and I believe the radials guys will tell you the same thing. The race tires do not "talk" to you, they just let go.

AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

AIX #97 American Iron - East (Retired)
HistoricMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:04 PM   #10
kevin

Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Horse
I appreciate all of the guidance.

Anything I should look out for or expect moving up from the street tires to the Hoosiers? (other than some improvement in laps times I hope)
i know nothing about your car. that being said. if you're moving from street to race tires then the safety check light comes on. when you move up on the tires eventually your desire and ability will go farther as well. so my suggestion for moving up on tires is, full roll cage, race seat, race harness, etc.

and as mentioned above. the race tires will grip better and you can take the turns faster, but your "feel" sensitivity needs to rachet up quite abit to feel the tires "letting go" at the edge of adherence.

just my soapy 2 cents worth
Old 06-06-2003, 10:24 PM   #11
Black Horse
Hyper-Performance Inc.

Wow!

Where else can you go and get feedback like this? And still no Indiana jokes (hey Dean?)

Just some background on me - I spent the last few years beating my '99 Cobra around the tracks, mostly stock, on street tires. Just bought a '95 R spec full-out race (older GT series - Motorola cup). I know in days of old when we could switch to slicks for the track of our oval car there was definately an "edge" to driving, just dont surpass it or.."hello wall". I have been able to gage my cornering on the "squeal" of the street tires.....now I have a whole new world to get use to.

I cant tell you how much I appreciate all of your feedback, comments, etc. I have a lot to learn, I'll try to keep my mouth shut and ears open.

I'm shooting to have my NASA comp lisc. by next year, or maybe by the end of this one depending on how many events I can make. I'm doing the SVTOA Gingerman next week (Th.) and the HPDE at Gingerman with NASA in July. Bare with me.....keep waving as you go flying past....just remeber, some day I intend to be the one accepting the wave.

- Dave
Attached Images

- Dave SCMC #350

Old 06-07-2003, 10:14 AM   #12
Cobra-R
Super Moderator

Re: Wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Horse
Where else can you go and get feedback like this? And still no Indiana jokes (hey Dean?)

Just some background on me - I spent the last few years beating my '99 Cobra around the tracks, mostly stock, on street tires. Just bought a '95 R spec full-out race (older GT series - Motorola cup). I know in days of old when we could switch to slicks for the track of our oval car there was definately an "edge" to driving, just dont surpass it or.."hello wall". I have been able to gage my cornering on the "squeal" of the street tires.....now I have a whole new world to get use to.

I cant tell you how much I appreciate all of your feedback, comments, etc. I have a lot to learn, I'll try to keep my mouth shut and ears open.

I'm shooting to have my NASA comp lisc. by next year, or maybe by the end of this one depending on how many events I can make. I'm doing the SVTOA Gingerman next week (Th.) and the HPDE at Gingerman with NASA in July. Bare with me.....keep waving as you go flying past....just remeber, some day I intend to be the one accepting the wave.

- Dave
Nice car, Dave!! What number R was that? Looking forward to seeing you next week.

Brian
Old 06-07-2003, 11:13 AM   #13
johnbasf

Send a message via AIM to johnbasf
Dave, have you run the R on course yet? If not I would suggest making a couple of runs on street tires. Get the feel of the car before the Hoosiers.

johnbasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 12:30 PM   #14
kevin

dave,

keep on asking the questions. we'll keep on giving our 2 cents (or more if we run into inflation).

i agree with john, you should start out with the street tires to get the feel of the car first.

nice looking car you have. have fun with it at gingerman. a word of warning tho. stay away from cobra-r, he will destroy your tires and warp your mind. and if he "tries" to pass you, don't believe it, it's only a mirage
Old 06-07-2003, 07:25 PM   #15
johnbasf

Send a message via AIM to johnbasf
Is that the car that was at our Gingerman event last year? Very nice.

johnbasf is offline   Reply With Quote