SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Pick your poison > Autocross/Open Track /OTC updates
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2004, 08:48 PM   #1
98banana

CMP Report...

Saturday was a wonderful day for most. Weather was nice, just a little cool. I got to meet some people I've only seen on the forum here and am REAL glad I have. Joel finally has a face and so does a bunch of the Corvette guys. Very cool bunch.

John Pearson is doing a fabulous job. Thanks you very much.

The Morans, at this point, are probably headed back to Canada with a broken rear control arm. It sure was great seeing them again though!

I went home after the first session with a loose steering rack. The passenger side wheel would actually wobble enough to change toe by about 1/4". After many phone calls trying to find a rack, we determined my weekend was over, so I decided to head home put it on the lift and tear into it and figure out what the problem may be. Dan Caudil came with me and helped out and it turned out the passenger side inner tie rod ball joint was toast. That's what happens when it's lacking grease! I called the local dealerships, plus a few others with no luck in finding one. I decided to do a last ditch search and after 12 dealerships, I finally found a parts guy that knew the deal and I was on the way on a speed trek to Bobby Jones in Augusta, GA. What a great dealership! They actually let me pay over the phone and had the part waiting at the sales desk since they would be closed by the time I got there. So, 140 miles and $21 later, I had the part! It's now in the car, the car is back on the trailer, and I'm heading back to CMP at 5AM!

I wanted to mention that at least 2 club members actually offered to let me drive their cars since mine was dead. To them, I say thank you! You guys are awesome.

Nothing fun to drive...
98banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:45 PM   #2
Firme
track deprived

makes me wish I could be there

sorry to hear about you car troubles, but I'm glad you found the part and are going back
~#2743 of 3867 Born on 8/6/01
- Magnaflow Catback, Magnaflow X-pipe, 03 Bilstein Shocks/Struts, MM front Coil-Over kit, MM STB, H&R rear Race Springs, MM IRS bushing, MM upper and lower rear Control arm bushings, Custom SFC. MGW shifter(replaced the p.o.s Tri-Ax), a whole slew of MGW pieces

Founding member of the "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society
Firme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
b_tone

Can we hear more about the rear control arm that failed? How was everything else during the weekend?

There is a quick blurb on CC.com about the nashville event.

It was nice on Saturday with a great race for the AI win,then rained all day on sunday.

More later.
b_tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:07 PM   #4
98banana

I'll let the Morans post more detail on their control arm problem.

Weather was great today. It actually got a hair warm, but very nice overall.

To my knowledge, not a single mishap occured as far as offs or wrecks. Very well behaved participants and a great job by the corner workers. Lots and lots of track time today. I think I had either 6 or 7 sessions. That made up for all the down time yesterday.

As for me, I'm extremely impressed with the Focus. I had to go to street tires after my first 2-3 sessions because of a small hole in the front left that looked like it could lead to tread seperation. Going to street tires was the best thing I did all day. I was actually running faster with them on than the "sticky race tires". I think it's a combination of the street tires being much better than I thought, and the race tires being old and used up. I'm looking forward to some hoosiers now...

Nothing fun to drive...
Old 03-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
SIUNARA

Thank you to everyone that made this event possible...Tony, John, Jeff, Lisa, Clarence, and others...it flat out ROCKED!! I had a great time and was amazed at the amount of track time we had!

Tom, what a blast ripping around in the Foci...they are great cars...that we will make even better for next year. Gloat now Tony, because next year will be a whole new ball game with the SVTF!

Thanks to Will for his sponsership of the AI ride along program...I can't even decribe how much fun it was to drive that car!!

Looking forward to next year already...

95 Cobra
SIUNARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #6
98banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUNARA
Tom, what a blast ripping around in the Foci...they are great cars...that we will make even better for next year. Gloat now Tony, because next year will be a whole new ball game with the SVTF!
That's alright... Lisa knows the true story. Really though, Tony has shown a lot of improvement since the last time I saw him on a track. Now, if we can just pull him back from that steering wheel!

There's a few other drivers out there that need some recognition of skill. This is a short list as there are many others...
Don: You were flat out smokin' in that Focus. I'm assuming this was your first time on track with that car. Awesome driving man!
Craig: Dang dude! I'm sure it was the BMS roll bar and SFC's that made you go that fast! It couldn't have been the MM coil-overs!
Jimmy B.: I passed you in the first session on Saturday because you were new to the track. Sunday, when you were in Pearson's car, you blew by me like I was going backwards. I hear rumor of a 1:53 in his car!!! Dang dude, get your car ready for AI and you'll be a contender!
Lisa: You "ride ****!"

I know there was a lot of other kick-a$$, safe driving out there, but unfortunately, my car was a little too slow on the straights to hang around anybody for too long to watch.

Nothing fun to drive...
Old 03-15-2004, 01:11 PM   #7
rshelbygt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUNARA
Thanks to Will for his sponsership of the AI ride along program...I can't even decribe how much fun it was to drive that car!!

Looking forward to next year already...

Same goes to Bryan Shugg...thanks for letting me take your car out for a session!!! That car is absolutely incredible!!! I have already started the MM savings fund.... I appreciate that opportunity more than you'll ever know...

It was great to see all of you again. I'm very glad that Will made it through the weekend without any mechanical issues...it was nice to actually get to see him tearing it up on track. It was also great to pull into CMP on Sunday morning and see Tom back with the Focus. Tom, Great job getting the car fixed for Sunday

Pearson (and everyone else involved with this great event)...Awesome job planning/organizing this track event!!!!! I saw alot of smiles around the paddock all weekend...looks like everybody had a great time
rshelbygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

Send a message via Yahoo to nckissfan
I had a great time on Sunday. Thanks to Tony, and Lisa for making my wife and I feel welcome. I think my friends Dennis, and Tina had fun as well. It was great riding with Tony. He is not as bad as y'all make him out to be. Although, he does sit way too close to the steering wheel! I can't wait for the next time that I get to hang out with all you guys!!
nckissfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:58 PM   #9
Hazman

Thanks to all of the folks involved with arraigning this event and helping it run so smoothly. We had a great time!! Next year I will take Monday off so I can hang around and take full advantage of Sunday afternoon.

And a special thanks to John for all the work he put into this and for putting up with all of us. You done good John.

By the way I forget to pick up my two rolls of Charmin I won. When can I get those?????
Hazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 05:48 PM   #10
johnbasf

Send a message via AIM to johnbasf
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Finkelstein for a great job with tech and all the running around he did.

Rich Riley for another great job at race control. Thanks for keeping the event running smoothly. Nice stool Rich. Marge Riley also helped out Tony with registration.

"Big C" Clarence Milstead, you stoood out there all weekend even though you were not feeling good. Thanks for jumping in on grid and helping out. Oh yea, you too Lisa.

Instructors, without you guys there is no driving school. This group was the best I've worked with. Not one had any complaints the whole weekend. I hope to see all of you back next year.

Tony Sorrentino, without you there is no club. It was great to see you out there having a great time.

If I missed anyone I apologize. Thanks for a Great Event.

Craig Mathis and Wife, awesome cooking and hospitality.

johnbasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 05:50 PM   #11
johnbasf

Jason,Will and Jimmy http://maximummotorsports.com/ I talked to them today and they are ready for your calls.

Old 03-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #12
97whitevert
well, maybe....

Send a message via AIM to 97whitevert Send a message via Yahoo to 97whitevert
Talking

First: thanks tony - with out you none of this would have been possible!!
John- GREAT job of organizing! i think everything went very well and heard no complaints!
Tom- not I.. thanks for the ride! i do know the REAL story!! <------- (this should really be named tony )
Mike S.- thanks for the rides!!! that z is an awesome car! and that kink!!
jimmy B.- Awesome ride!! thanks!!!

It was great to put some faces to names! and it was great to see old friends we have not seen in awhile!! As i have said before, this club is a teriffic group of people-- old and new members alike!! Thanks to EVERYONE that came out and made this event such a success; participants and spectators! we could not have asked for a better weekend in any way, shape or form!
97 white convertible #99
Born on 1/28/97
03 sonic blue coupe #323
Born on 6/4/02
86 SVO Mustang track beast-
The older brother of the SVT !
99 green BAT
95 laser red F150
06 sonic blue Escape

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -- Mahatma Gandhi
97whitevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:13 PM   #13
johnbasf

I feel like a dolt. I forgot to thank the people who supported the event, the drivers. It was great to walk around and see a on everyones face. Thanks for the reminder Lisa.

We also had a visitor from Texas!!! I don't remember his name but he was headed up north and detoured his trip to stop by the event. Siunara(Don) gave his daughter a ride in his SVT Focus.

Old 03-15-2004, 07:15 PM   #14
johnbasf

I let Jimmy Bost put my camera in his car. I watched the in-car today and I think Jimmy is ready to take the leap to AI. Jimmy, can I make you a VHS? You got several runs on tape. You had a lot of fun in the autocross section.

Old 03-15-2004, 08:58 PM   #15
timz06

Thanks to everyone, us vette boys really enjoyed beating up on the mustangs! There were a couple of fast mustangs out there, the red 93 cobra r was right with me, as well as the black LX who was running really close and I finally let by on Sunday as I was tired of pushing the car hard! Sammy really was fast with his coilover suspension, a huge difference from last year. Was looking forward to running with John, would have been close...Sammy clocked me at 1:51 sat am thinking it got better, but who knows? Sun am after 2 sessions I went thru the kink at high speed behind sammy, I messed up and lifted and kicked the rear end out. Brought it back in and then heard a noise. In the pits found out that a large bolt that holds the rear brake caliper onto the spindle had fallen out! I think I might not have torqued it down properly. Went out and tried to find a new bolt but to no avail. Came back and Lee was kind enough to let me drive his M3 one session. Had fun, but I need a lot of practice to drive that car well. When I was packing up saw John and Sammy running on an open track. Wish I could have gotten out there, but I got plenty of time in and had a great time.