SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Pick your poison > American Iron/AV8SS/Grand Am Cup
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2004, 04:58 PM   #1
SIUNARA

Nasa-Va news about dyno at events...

Nasa-Va is reporting on their home page (nasaracing.net) that a dyno will be available at ALL Nasa events this year. It is nice to see that this has finally happened.

Racing has been tight within the American Iron series since it's inception. One of the main rules in the series is power to weight ratio...a rule that has been sporadically enforced throughout AI's first two years. A major complaint from me as a prospective racer at the time was...how can you make (and follow) a rule you do not have the means to enforce and how can you expect everyone to play fair without proper checks and balances? I was told that money was not available for a dyno since AI did not have a sponsership or the means to pay for a dyno. As a NASA sanctioned race series, I thought that NASA should pony up the $$, and they are finally doing that. My question now is...why did it take two years for the dyno to show up?

This post is not meant to flame anyone or start another AI bashing round, but simply to have a simple question answered. Inquiring minds want to know...

95 Cobra
SIUNARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
justagt

IF you get an answer, by all means let me know. I wasn't able to find out myself.

joegibbsracingoil.com
justagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
mwilson7
SCMC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUNARA
My question now is...why did it take two years for the dyno to show up?

This post is not meant to flame anyone or start another AI bashing round, but simply to have a simple question answered. Inquiring minds want to know...
It's probably the same reason that LOTS of things are suddenly happening after asking for them for two years. It's REALLY dissapointing to see that these things are mysteriously possible now when there was no way they were going to happen in the past. I guess that's the way things work.....
93 Cobra #1824
98.5 SVT Contour
04 BIW Mustang AV8SS #29
www.on-trackperformance.com
mwilson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:01 PM   #4
COBRA #17

Hhmmmm !!!

I'm glad you said that and NOT ME !!!

I'm a BAD BOY !!!!!
COBRA #17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:06 PM   #5
nasachris

Interesting that nobody asked me, the director of the NASA-Va chapter.

The answer would lie with leader of the series, UP TO A MONTH AGO, Dan Schlickenmeyer.

$30 of every entry last year was given back to Dan and James for things like a fund for the Dyno. Dan felt it was better for series growth to spend the money on things like an ad in GRM and cookouts (even though NASA -VA already has a saturday night party for everyone and takes out ads for all of NASA.) I would have felt it better to spend it on the dyno. It was a difference of opinion but as a chapter director my philosophy has always been to allow motivated leaders to make the decisions they felt best for the series. I did that with Dan and AI.

Dan is no longer the leader and Steve and I feel that adherence to the rules in a consistent fashion is a better use of the funds and will help to grow the series. That is why it is occurring. Nobody ever said that it couldn't happen. Dan had told me all along that he was working on a dyno deal. Once he stepped down I had one within two weeks and made the announcement. Are we actually being called into question for doing what was supposed to be done?

Since Dan's stepping down what drivers have told me (the few that have actually contacted me) is that there was concern about:

Rules enforcement--This has been taken care of.
Communication--Before Dan's stepping down no one contacted me about any of this stuff. I relied upon Dan for information and the thing Dan had seen as potential issues was the dyno at the track and the torque rule. The dyno will be at the track so that is fixed. Dan voiced his disapproval for the torque rule because of his lack of ability to enforce it because of lack of dyno. So that SHOULD be fixed too. My probing has uncovered the fact that most think a torque rule is a good idea but most don't really know what the ratio should be. John and Ryan asked for dyno sheets from 2003 when they were determing the torque to weight ratio. Those sheets were held by Dan, not me, or else I would have sent them. Unfortunately they never made it to California and so the limits were set without the east coast information. Steve has vowed to share the dyno information with California and california has vowed to adjust the ratio if necessary in 2005.

Dan only stepped down a month ago. We are doing our best to clean up and move forward.

Again. Steve Marcus is perfectly willing to speak about AI and he has given out a 1 800 number to contact him.

We cannot watch every forum out there. There is not enough time in the day to monitor and respond. If you have questions contact us directly.

I can always be reached at chris@nasaracing.net or at 804-275-3332. If I can answer it I will and if it is a "Steve" question then I will refer to him.

Authenticate, don't speculate.

Peace,
Chris
nasachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
SIUNARA

Thanks for the reply Chris.

95 Cobra
Old 04-08-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
nasachris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUNARA
Thanks for the reply Chris.
No problem Don. I just want people to know that if there are questions that we are available but it needs to come directly to us. The forums aren't the official information source of NASA. The rules and the leaders are.

Peace,
C
Old 04-08-2004, 06:46 PM   #8
COBRA #17

Old 04-08-2004, 07:19 PM   #9
mwilson7
SCMC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasachris
My probing has uncovered the fact that most think a torque rule is a good idea but most don't really know what the ratio should be. John and Ryan asked for dyno sheets from 2003 when they were determing the torque to weight ratio. Those sheets were held by Dan, not me, or else I would have sent them. Unfortunately they never made it to California and so the limits were set without the east coast information. Steve has vowed to share the dyno information with California and california has vowed to adjust the ratio if necessary in 2005.

Authenticate, don't speculate.

Peace,
Chris
Chris,

Who is for the torque rule?

Your comment makes absolutely no sense if I read your post correctly. Steve is now going to share the dyno sheets from 2004 with the guys on the west coast and they will make changes if they see it necessary. Why would they make any changes as everyone should be within the 9:1 ratio or else they are illegal. Which part of this circular argument am I missing? Additionally Eric (AI Midewest Director) was never asked for our dyno sheets so they were DEFINITELY not looking at the country as a whole. According to John at SEMA they were looking to stop people from paying $15k for an AI motor thinking that if they implemented a toque rule it would suffice. What they failed to realize is that you could build a motor comparable to a Griggs motor for 1/4 the cost (I did it so I know). Additionally the torque rule the way it sits makes many motors now illegal in AI (351 Windsor, almost any tuned 350) because you cannot choke the torque off which is unfortunately because I know of 2 people here in the midwest who were forced to drastically change their engine combinations.

Communication on the east coast was definitely not a problem last year. Communicating with the west coast was DEFINITELY a problem in 2003 and is again this year. Hopefully Steve can change that.
93 Cobra #1824
98.5 SVT Contour
04 BIW Mustang AV8SS #29
Old 04-08-2004, 08:09 PM   #10
nasachris

If i really thought you were trying to help the AI series by posing these questions I would continue, but I get this feeling that this is just going to turn into another AI bashing session. I won't be a part of it. My point was that questions need to be addressed to us directly. By not doing this you show everyone that you are more interested in bashing than in actually finding the answers.

If anyone wants me contact me directly my info is above.

Bye.
C
Old 04-08-2004, 08:49 PM   #11
wreckm

Talking I get this feeling that this is just going to turn into another AI bashing session.

What do you think you just did in your first post??????????I bet the dyno was a benifit with 4 cars huh?
wreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:22 PM   #12
mwilson7
SCMC Member

Perhaps I have noticed Chris that your posts have turned into Dan bashing and are not entirely truthful. You are trying to make it sound like Dan was the root of all the problems.

If the truth was posted I wouldn't feel the need to question anything. I have always believed that telling the truth is the best way to do things as the truth is always easier to remember.......

I was not trying to stir the pot but am mearly trying to fully understand exactly what you are saying. Your statement made absolutely no sense and if I'm wrong please show me how I mis-interpreted it.
93 Cobra #1824
98.5 SVT Contour
04 BIW Mustang AV8SS #29
Old 04-08-2004, 11:36 PM   #13
SIUNARA

It might be a good idea to lock this thread Pearson...it's turning into exactly what I didn't want it to...an AI bashing round. People can take up their specific issues with Chris via e-mail or phone as he has requested.

95 Cobra
Old 04-09-2004, 12:26 AM   #14
svt_coupe
Bryan Shugg

Send a message via AIM to svt_coupe
Chris - You know I'm not a fan of debating issues on the internet. It mostly seems like people just spin their wheels. Though, it can be a constructive force if delivered correctly.

I'll call you on the tele tomorrow with my feelings about AI and it's current state. I can't say that AI gives me a warm fuzzy feeling right now. CMP's lack of turnout was a real downer for me and has bothered me this entire week.

Thanks for looking into the Toyo thing for me. That's definitely some good news!

Shugg
#67 American Iron East
svt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #15
COBRA #17

$$$$$$$$

Sorry guys I just can't stop myself !!!!