SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Pick your poison > American Iron/AV8SS/Grand Am Cup
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
Admiral
Got Track?

95R oil cooler?

I need to get an oil cooler for my 95Gt, was looking for an easy install if possible. Anyone have any info on using the 95R oil cooler? I have a Ford Part number M-6642-R58 but it says no hoses or hardware come with it. Pics or input appreciated!
2003 Mustang Mach 1 (race car)
1990 Spec Miata (race car)
1966 289 Cobra (V8 go-kart)
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:49 PM   #2
svt_coupe
Bryan Shugg

Send a message via AIM to svt_coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
I need to get an oil cooler for my 95Gt, was looking for an easy install if possible. Anyone have any info on using the 95R oil cooler? I have a Ford Part number M-6642-R58 but it says no hoses or hardware come with it. Pics or input appreciated!
Hey dude. If you're gonna bother to get a cooler, get a real cooler. Get a sandwich adapter with 1 input/1 output from Canton that goes between the filter and the block.
http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/..._sandwich.html

Look at the lower right pic.

Bolt the cooler in front of the radiator - isolate the cooler from the mounting point with rubber if you can (coolers don't like vibrations). Run 2 steel braided #10 (or is it #8? which is bigger?) to the cooler... and your done. Not sure how effective the 95R cooler is. Is the 95R cooler water-cooled? If so, it's only as good as your water temp. Don't know about you, but my car typically runs at about 220-230 water. Oil is usually 240-245.
#67 American Iron East
svt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
Admiral
Got Track?

Hiya Shugg.

The 95R cooler not up to spec or something? I'm not talking about the water to oil thingy found on the Cobras and the Police Mustangs, but the external air to oil cooler on the 95R. I'm trying to do this in a quality fashion on the cheap (like we all want, right?) but the MM kit is $500 bucks plus! I can get a 95R cooler for $130, was hoping to find out if it would take AN fittings and what size. Yeah, I'll need a sandwich adapter, but then I get to try to mount the darn thing securely, get hoses made and get the fitting size right. Hard to do and hold down a day job for me, lol.

What size adapter for the 302 SBF??
Old 05-07-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
justagt

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt_coupe
Run 2 steel braided #10 (or is it #8? which is bigger?) to the cooler... and your done.
#10!!!!!! DO NOT use #8 for anything related to oil. It is too small and I have seen a cook toast his bearings with it. It is similar to trying to breathe thru a straw while riding a bike in full spandex in a race.......you can't get enough air. Your motor won't get enough oil.

FWIW, I use 12 on my lines and a 10 on my accusump line. I know Bryan uses 10 on all of his lines with no issues.

Oh, and like he said...............if you are going to have a cooler, use a real cooler. You can get the kind that mount flush to the front of the radiator like the AC condensor.

I personally would suggest to piece it together yourself instead of buying a kit. That way you get only the parts you need and it usually is a lot cheaper.

joegibbsracingoil.com
justagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
Admiral
Got Track?

All good input, thanks. What I need are the details if available. Got a track event in a few weekends and would like to get the oil cooler deal installed. I'm already going to put a PS Cooler on the car, wanted to get both done in time for the next AI race here in Texas.

I've heard about bad coolers, I have a MoCal on my Cobra replica but that car doesn't do racing duty. I saw a pic of some wide thin ones that used to be on the Bondurant Mustangs, kinda liked the idea of not putting the oil cooler in front of the radiator if I could get away with it.

What size is the sandwich adapter needed for the small block ford, anyone?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Cobra-R
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Cobra-R
Guys,
The 95R cooler is probly about as effective of a cooler as you are going to get, so no worries there.

I would recommend installing a thermostat with the cooler if your car is a street driver so you can get the oil up to temp.

Brian
2011 BMW M3
2010 Camaro SS
2008 Corvette Z06
2000 Cobra R #131 of 300
1995 Cobra R #23 (AV8SS and NASA AI #23)
I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...
Cobra-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:03 AM   #7
svt_coupe
Bryan Shugg

Send a message via AIM to svt_coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
What size is the sandwich adapter needed for the small block ford, anyone?
Call Canton and ask them. They are extremely helpful people.
#67 American Iron East
svt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:03 AM   #8
Admiral
Got Track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra-R
Guys,
The 95R cooler is probly about as effective of a cooler as you are going to get, so no worries there.

I would recommend installing a thermostat with the cooler if your car is a street driver so you can get the oil up to temp.

Brian
Can anyone get me pics or part numbers? NOT A STREET CAR, track only AI car, hence the post in the AI forum. This is proving to be frustrating.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:12 PM   #9
Cobra-R
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Cobra-R
The sandwich adapter can be bought from Canton, so thats no big deal. You will need to make the brakets for the cooler to mount to the radiator support, other than that all you need is the SS lines.

My car is tucked away in my trailer, so getting pics is going to be difficult until I get it out again.

Make a request for pics over on www.svtperformance.com in the Cobra R forum. I am sure there will be someone with a 95R that either has, or could take some pics.

Brian
2011 BMW M3
2010 Camaro SS
2008 Corvette Z06
2000 Cobra R #131 of 300
1995 Cobra R #23 (AV8SS and NASA AI #23)
I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...
Cobra-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 12:15 PM   #10
Admiral
Got Track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra-R
The sandwich adapter can be bought from Canton, so thats no big deal. You will need to make the brakets for the cooler to mount to the radiator support, other than that all you need is the SS lines.

My car is tucked away in my trailer, so getting pics is going to be difficult until I get it out again.

Make a request for pics over on www.svtperformance.com in the Cobra R forum. I am sure there will be someone with a 95R that either has, or could take some pics.

Brian
Thanks for the help! I'll try to get a post over there later today, not registered yet.