SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Pick your poison > American Iron/AV8SS/Grand Am Cup
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
98banana

Road Atlanta - AI report

Okay, the subject is misleading because I don't have enough facts for a real report...

I showed up just before qualifying to watch the AI guys run. Qualifying ended with a huge rain shower blowing through. The shower lasted all of 2 minutes and the track dried up for the rest of the day. Shugg said he came over the hill at turn 11 and drove into a wall of rain. Everything just dissappeared. Freaky!

There was a lot of cars in the big bore race. I have no idea what the numbers were, but there were probably 10-15 AI/AIX cars, 5-10 CMC cars, about 6 BMWs and I think 6 FFR's. Somebody correct those numbers for me...

There was a black firebird AIX car and a Volvo-BMW (a BWM with Volvo labels???) that just tore up the field. The start was one of the most impressive shows of power I've seen. They duked it out at the front until about 3 laps from the end where the firebird took an extra 30 seconds or so to come around. We're guessing he went off. I'm pretty sure he still won AIX and am also pretty sure he still took second over all.

I'm also pretty sure Shugg won the AI group. Unfortunately, I have no idea who else placed where. From what I could tell, there was some real good racing with quite a bit of action in turn 1. It looked pretty clean as well.

Anyway, hopefully somebody can add to this lame report with some actual data. I know Jimmy and I had a blast watching and it was really good to see everybody again. I even got a surprise in seeing Steve Ragen there. His car has come a long way! It's looking real good. I'm also glad to see his dad gave up the Miata for a "real" car.

Okay, I'm off to rub aloe on my bald sunburnt head now...

Nothing fun to drive...
98banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #2
kevin

sounds like it was great fun to watch.

congrats to shugg.

so when you going back to race tom
http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Users/Darth.jpg
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
98banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
so when you going back to race tom
It'll be a while. I finally sold my company a few months back and have a "normal" job again, so maybe I can get started pretty soon. I have a '79 coupe in the garage waiting for me to get to work on, so maybe next year.

Right now, I'm having fun watching you guys spend all the money.

Nothing fun to drive...
Old 06-21-2004, 08:48 PM   #4
sn8kbit

Send a message via AIM to sn8kbit
Shugg placed 1st both days. Sunday's race was close. The orange mod motored AI car was leading until what looked like a mech failure in the front straight (Brian Smith maybe?). Couple of offs, one by that bad ass firechicken, and another AI in the tire wall at 7. All in all, an excellent weekend.

Tom, great to see ya again, even for a short bit. And after 3 years of talking smack, I finally got some seat time with Shugg. Don't know if it was good or bad, he signed me off and ran away screaming.....LOL
sn8kbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
justagt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn8kbit
The orange mod motored AI car was leading until what looked like a mech failure in the front straight (Brian Smith maybe?).

right, that is Brian Smith out of Richmond. However, we AI types affectionately know him as Princess or Swaybar Smith.

joegibbsracingoil.com
justagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
wildhorsesracin

Send a message via AIM to wildhorsesracin Send a message via Yahoo to wildhorsesracin
Quote:
Originally Posted by justagt
right, that is Brian Smith out of Richmond. However, we AI types affectionately know him as Princess or Swaybar Smith.

That's right! He was wearing his 'princess' plate wasn't he?

Anyone get a picture?
wildhorsesracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
BOC- Beau

So there we were flying through the downhill esses. Brian Smith is right in front of me, Shugg is right behind me, and all I can think of is the tag on the back of Smith's car. Does that say princess? HUH.
Beau Dunnivant #68 AI-East
www.blueovalclassics.com
BOC- Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:03 PM   #8
johnbasf

Send a message via AIM to johnbasf
I think Beau like getting trophies. http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2004ju...G_2512_JPG.jpg

johnbasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 12:04 AM   #9
2KWhiteSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbasf
I think Beau like getting trophies. http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2004ju...G_2512_JPG.jpg
http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2004ju...G_2514_JPG.jpg

Which ass is Pantas looking at? I think Shugg can feel that stare

Anyway, congrats to Shugg and everyone else. Sounds like it was a solid weekend.

Craig

5.0 Big Bore block by Modular Performance
Engine built by Lester Lesneski at Performance Auto.
FR500 Intake and Cams
Every part Maximum Motorsports has to offer
Setup/custom IRS changes by Lester Lesneski at Performance Automotive
Banana Motorsports 4 Pt Cage and Subs

2008 Audi RS4 Daily Driver
420 HP N/A V8 with Quattro
http://www.cbslimited.com/rs4.php
2KWhiteSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 11:29 AM   #10
wildhorsesracin

Send a message via AIM to wildhorsesracin Send a message via Yahoo to wildhorsesracin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWhiteSnake
http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2004ju...G_2514_JPG.jpg

Which ass is Pantas looking at? I think Shugg can feel that stare
The sad part about it is that I am not even looking at Bobbie in that pic - I was actually drooling over all the Valvoline Race Oil we were giving away !
wildhorsesracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:33 PM   #11
timz06

Are the results posted somewhere? I was interested to see what kind of times the AI and AIX boys are running at RA (to compare with my own times of course!)

Tim
Old 07-27-2004, 08:43 AM   #12
svt_coupe
Bryan Shugg

Send a message via AIM to svt_coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by timz06
Are the results posted somewhere?
I'm not totally certain what some of the other times were, but I ran a 1:42.0xx (think it was an .016) on Saturday. It was my first time there with the AI car. Sunday's race was a bit hectic. I think you would have seen times fall but, a red flag early on and mechanical troubles prevented people from running top notch times.

After some discussion with a few RA veterans and learning where I lost time (that track is COMPLEX!!), we think AI times should be able to get into the 1:38's.
#67 American Iron East
svt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:10 AM   #13
timz06

Bryan, that is a pretty good time. I have been able to get down into the 1:41's, but I don't see myself going any faster than that. I know I could pick up a little on turn 12, but I don't think it is worth the risk. I know the T1 corvette record is around 1:39. If you guys can get to a 1:38 your cars are getting extremely fast.

What was the full course vir time for AI/AIX? I got a 2:12.4 last time, I was pretty happy with that. There was a T1 vette there who helped me out a lot. He set the T1 record at 2:09.

Are you going to NASA at RA in August? I would like to run with them in the HPDE, and then attend their instructor training in Sept. to get on with them as an instructor. I've done quite a few laps at RA.

Tim
Old 07-27-2004, 10:18 AM   #14
98banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by timz06
Bryan, that is a pretty good time. I have been able to get down into the 1:41's, but I don't see myself going any faster than that. I know I could pick up a little on turn 12, but I don't think it is worth the risk. I know the T1 corvette record is around 1:39. If you guys can get to a 1:38 your cars are getting extremely fast.
Take it from one that knows... DO NOT PUSH TURN 12!!!

When I had my little accident, I was running unofficial 1:40 with somebody else timing. That's also with one wheel peel. I was on the way to breaking 1:40 when turn 12 bit.

Nothing fun to drive...
Old 07-27-2004, 11:02 AM   #15
timz06

Did you have a bad crash in turn 12?