SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 93 - 95 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2004, 02:14 PM   #1
jkrkk1

Smile ABS Brake light

I had a friend put in my 3.55, I have not gotten the car back yet but he said that the ABS light is on. He was careful not to damage the sensors. He unhooked the battery thinking the computer might have to reset, but the light is still on. Any suggestions? I called Ford, $61.00 for the sensors, but the left is different from the right. So I buy one new one, and it is the wrong one, hello $122.00. I have to get a new spedo gear, the Ford dealership said that I would have to bring the old one in and match up the type, then he wanted to know how many miles an hour it is off so that we would know how many extra or less teeth the new one should have. I wanted to say, doesn't your book show this, from a 3.08 to a 3.55. Any thoughts on that.
Thanks and God Bless
P.S. If it wasn't for the light, I would have picked up the car last night to see how it drives, but I decided to get some answers about the light first. I've got $355.00 in the gear, shim kit and installation. Does that sound high low or about right. Granted it is a used Richmond gear, but it looked good, and he said it makes no noise.

><)))*>
jkrkk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
95Cobra

You Got a good deal on the gear install! As far as your speedo gear I'd leave it alone....I did'nt change mine. It works to my advantage! @ 55mph ,mph my speedo says I'm doing 60. I also went from 3:08's to 3:55's. I don't know where you live but I get a sweet discount from my ford dealer,I work at a dealer...I could get you the sensors cheaper. Do you know for sure it's the sensors??
95 White Cobra #259
Black Leather
Procharged P1SC, 9PSI, AFR165's, extrude honed Cobra intake, custom cam, 42#'s, 75 Pro-m, 75mm t/body, full Mac, TKO-600, macloud twin friction, Eaton, 31 spline. Much more.....
Safe dyno #'s
427RWHP
434RWTQ
95Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
cobrapace94

Send a message via AIM to cobrapace94
You will need a white 21 tooth speedo gear to get it very close with 3.55 gears.
I would guess the ABS sensor broke, unless you changed rear tire size. The sensors are easly broke, ask how I know.
The 355$ for the gear, shim kit and install is a good deal. When you drive it, let the car coast to see if it whines then also.

1994 Cobra Indy Pace Car Convertible # 591 of 1000
2001 Cobra, #2001 of 3384 verts, Black on White, Born on 6/01/01
cobrapace94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
jkrkk1

The car runs great, the tires break loose going into second, which is not easy for a stock SN95 heavy convertible. How much difference realistically would a CAI make in horse power? I'm going to change the speedo gear, don't ask why, I just have to. The sensors were taken out with care, I'm going to pop them out tonight and see if anything looks unusual.
Thanks and God Bless for the info

><)))*>
Old 07-26-2004, 10:53 PM   #5
jkrkk1

I was just checking out John's Mustang parts, and they show a white spedo gear with 23 teeth for 3.55's, the 21 tooth is red and it is listed for 3.27's. Any suggestions?

><)))*>
Old 07-27-2004, 07:50 AM   #6
cobrapace94

Send a message via AIM to cobrapace94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrkk1
I was just checking out John's Mustang parts, and they show a white spedo gear with 23 teeth for 3.55's, the 21 tooth is red and it is listed for 3.27's. Any suggestions?
My mistake, you will need the white 23 tooth speedo.. A tip is to sand down the OD of the speedo gear cause it is not a Ford gear (Dodge actually) and gets eaten up. I put the speedo gear in a drill and spin it using sand paper to reduce the OD a little.

1994 Cobra Indy Pace Car Convertible # 591 of 1000
2001 Cobra, #2001 of 3384 verts, Black on White, Born on 6/01/01
cobrapace94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
Aaron94

Send a message via AIM to Aaron94 Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron94
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrapace94
I would guess the ABS sensor broke, unless you changed rear tire size. The sensors are easly broke, ask how I know.
How are they easily broke?

My ABS light came on the other day too. It has done this before, and then turned off the next day, but it is being persistant this time. As far as the sensor breaking, do you mean the little "post" looking thing that seems to work magnetically with the "gear" looking thing on the hub? I have yet to inspect those parts, but I am hoping nothing is broken.

I had an incident recently where my fuel pump went out and it took me a little while to figure out that was it, and i tried to start the car a bunch of times as a result. For some reason my power steering pump decided to spit out a bunch of fluid from that little hole in the reseviour cap. Any explanation for this? Anyhow... it spit fluid all over the "ABS test" plug right by the power distribution box near the battery. Since then the ABS light has come on. Think this could be related, and something got damaged from the steering fluid getting on this test plug? Any ideas guys?

I am going to reset the battery and inspect the sensors tomorrow, but it drives and brakes fine...

1994 Rio Red Coupe #3564

304 ci, GT40X Aluminum Heads, Extrude Honed and Polished intake, Motorsport F303 cam, vortech fuel rails, 77 mm Pro-M mass air, 70mm BBK T-Body, Smog pump deletion, MSD and Perfomance distributors ignition components, Tremec 3550, Steeda Tri-axe, King Cobra/Centerforce clutch, Custom 3" Alum Driveshaft, 3.55 Gears, Griggs rear suspension w/torque arm & pan hard bar, Koni Red Shocks/Struts
Aaron94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:29 PM   #8
jkrkk1

I would maybe try and clean out the connector with an electronic spray cleaner, it sound like the sensor system itself is very sensitive. I pried the rear sensors out, lightly scraped off the gunk and re-installed, the light still came on. I have not driven it, only started it. I unhooked the battery again, still no success. The car is currently on jack stands until I get get a spedo gear, I took the old one out and now nobody has one, so I'll have to order. To make matters even more interesting, when the gear installer unhooked the battery, upon re-installation, it set off the aftermarket alarm. He got it shut off but now the alarm must have overheated or something, the sound got weaker and weaker until it finally went dead. I would like to just tap into the car horns, but I'm not sure if if the siren went bad or just that part of the alarm control. Oh well, the sun rose today and it will rise again tomorrow.
And yes aaron, it is the magnetic stud sticking out but not quite touching the sprocket on the back side of the axle. Pry easily from side to side. One of mine has a little nick in the part that fits tight into the hole, I think that might be the problem.
thanks and God Bless

><)))*>
Old 07-28-2004, 02:55 AM   #9
Aaron94

check with www.mustangsunlimited.com for the speedo gear.

1994 Rio Red Coupe #3564

304 ci, GT40X Aluminum Heads, Extrude Honed and Polished intake, Motorsport F303 cam, vortech fuel rails, 77 mm Pro-M mass air, 70mm BBK T-Body, Smog pump deletion, MSD and Perfomance distributors ignition components, Tremec 3550, Steeda Tri-axe, King Cobra/Centerforce clutch, Custom 3" Alum Driveshaft, 3.55 Gears, Griggs rear suspension w/torque arm & pan hard bar, Koni Red Shocks/Struts
Old 07-28-2004, 09:47 AM   #10
jkrkk1

I checked them out, they don't have a 23 tooth white.

><)))*>
Old 07-28-2004, 01:06 PM   #11
Aaron94

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/speedometer.htm

steeda has them it all it looks like.

1994 Rio Red Coupe #3564