SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Regional Forums > South Central
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
Jesse99

GM vs SVT

I read awhile back I heard about GM building a hand built engine.. Seems the're building the new LS7 and a few other blocks.. I read it awhile back on yahoo, but couldn't find it but I did find gm-trucks.com had it posted on there site.. http://gm-trucks.com/home/content/view/130/1/ Check it out and tell me what you think.. Here's a quote from the site..

"DETROIT - General Motors Corp. is adding more muscle to its claim of "World's Best Powertrains" with the official opening of its Performance Build Center, a $10 million facility dedicated to building high-performance engines for low-volume, premium vehicles.

The first hand-built engine variant to come from the Performance Build Center will be the LS7 OHV V-8 that is the heart of the Z06 performance package earmarked for the 2006 Corvette; specifications and details for the LS7 will be provided at the 2005 North American International Auto Show."

Anyway, let me know your thoughts.. I for one love to see limited built cars.. Later
----------------------
2011 5.0 mustang - Sold
2004 Fire Red Cobra Convertible- Sold
1999 Rio Red Cobra Convertible #93/4055 -Sold
1980 Turbo Trans Am - Sold
Jesse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:04 PM   #2
bluethunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse99
I read awhile back I heard about GM building a hand built engine.. Seems the're building the new LS7 and a few other blocks.. I read it awhile back on yahoo, but couldn't find it but I did find gm-trucks.com had it posted on there site.. http://gm-trucks.com/home/content/view/130/1/ Check it out and tell me what you think.. Here's a quote from the site..

"DETROIT - General Motors Corp. is adding more muscle to its claim of "World's Best Powertrains" with the official opening of its Performance Build Center, a $10 million facility dedicated to building high-performance engines for low-volume, premium vehicles.

The first hand-built engine variant to come from the Performance Build Center will be the LS7 OHV V-8 that is the heart of the Z06 performance package earmarked for the 2006 Corvette; specifications and details for the LS7 will be provided at the 2005 North American International Auto Show."

Anyway, let me know your thoughts.. I for one love to see limited built cars.. Later

Chevy already has a place that builds Performance Motors by hand- It's called Motorsport Technologies! they make the motors that Chevy should have put into their cars!
bluethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
cobltng
SCMC Member

GM hand built V8 engines/ LS7

Same concept as SVT except this is GM hand assembling the LS7 for the 06 Z06. This engine will be making 500 rwhp. SVT will likely come out with the same HP numbers for the next gen Cobra. Either way Z06 or Cobra I would expect extreme sticker shock.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
Firme
track deprived

its going to be confusing since MTI (the Houston performance shop that bluethunder mentioned) has an LS7 package for the vette's and there is a few of them running around with LS7 badges on em.

Oh, and its still gonna be Chebby
~#2743 of 3867 Born on 8/6/01
- Magnaflow Catback, Magnaflow X-pipe, 03 Bilstein Shocks/Struts, MM front Coil-Over kit, MM STB, H&R rear Race Springs, MM IRS bushing, MM upper and lower rear Control arm bushings, Custom SFC. MGW shifter(replaced the p.o.s Tri-Ax), a whole slew of MGW pieces

Founding member of the "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society
Firme is offline   Reply With Quote