SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > Other SVT vehicles
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
andre96

Help! 96 cobra mustang eating alternators

Help! My 96 cobra mustang (82000 miles) is eating alternators...I'm on my 3rd on this year, 2nd in one month...no mods to engine, new battery, new plug wires...the plastic regulator is also melting...if I can't get this sorted out I'm going to have to go back to Jap cars...

Andre96
andre96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Firme
track deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre96
Help! My 96 cobra mustang (82000 miles) is eating alternators...I'm on my 3rd on this year, 2nd in one month...no mods to engine, new battery, new plug wires...the plastic regulator is also melting...if I can't get this sorted out I'm going to have to go back to Jap cars...

Andre96
it sounds like either a short or a bad battery. Have you replaced your battery wires also?
~#2743 of 3867 Born on 8/6/01
- Magnaflow Catback, Magnaflow X-pipe, 03 Bilstein Shocks/Struts, MM front Coil-Over kit, MM STB, H&R rear Race Springs, MM IRS bushing, MM upper and lower rear Control arm bushings, Custom SFC. MGW shifter(replaced the p.o.s Tri-Ax), a whole slew of MGW pieces

Founding member of the "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society
Firme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
andre96

Battery is new (1 month), wires are a possibility...the car is at Goodyear for diagnostics...is there anything you'd recommend I discuss with them? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
Firme
track deprived

Quote:
Battery is new (1 month), wires are a possibility...the car is at Goodyear for diagnostics...is there anything you'd recommend I discuss with them? Thanks for any help.

well, the regulator melting would indicate a short or degradation in the main power cables on the battery. I would have them look for corroded wires or a short in you main battery wiring.
- Magnaflow Catback, Magnaflow X-pipe, 03 Bilstein Shocks/Struts, MM front Coil-Over kit, MM STB, H&R rear Race Springs, MM IRS bushing, MM upper and lower rear Control arm bushings, Custom SFC. MGW shifter(replaced the p.o.s Tri-Ax), a whole slew of MGW pieces

Founding member of the "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society
Old 11-10-2004, 06:08 PM   #5
andre96

Ok, wires are a good place to start...if you think of anything else, please let me know via this forum...

thanks
andre96
Old 11-10-2004, 06:14 PM   #6
Firme
track deprived

Quote:
Ok, wires are a good place to start...if you think of anything else, please let me know via this forum...

thanks
andre96
no problem, good luck man, wouldn't want you getting rid a perfectly good car for a japanese car

Old 11-10-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
SVTcobra04

Send a message via AIM to SVTcobra04 Send a message via MSN to SVTcobra04
Im shore ull get it fixed sooner or later.......Great car you have dont get rid of it and go to the dark side( )
SVTcobra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 07:01 PM   #8
andre96

Thanks guys, turns out there is a TSB that reads "if the battery is weak, the alternator will continue to attempt charging the battery causing the alternator to fail"...so another new battery, a new alternator (covered under warranty), a new serpentine belt and assurance that all wires were sound, got me back on the road...kudos to the Goodyear guys in Clearwater for a great job and getting me back into my Cobra and keeping me "with the force"
Old 11-11-2004, 07:12 PM   #9
SVTcobra04

Send a message via AIM to SVTcobra04 Send a message via MSN to SVTcobra04
glad to hear you got it fixed.
SVTcobra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:14 PM   #10
Firme
track deprived

good to hear thing are squared away. You would be surprised how many batteries cause failures prematurely

one thing I have noticed in my vehicles, is after a battery is used till it completely dies, the alternator dies within a year after replacement of the battery. I alway figured it becuase its life was diminished by the strain of a battery going dead.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:25 AM   #11
Butcher
Feel the Rush...

Send a message via ICQ to Butcher Send a message via AIM to Butcher Send a message via MSN to Butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firme
good to hear thing are squared away. You would be surprised how many batteries cause failures prematurely

one thing I have noticed in my vehicles, is after a battery is used till it completely dies, the alternator dies within a year after replacement of the battery. I alway figured it becuase its life was diminished by the strain of a battery going dead.
Go ahead and change the cables and regulator. Easy cheap upgrade, wont leave you on the roadside.

Jimmie
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:39 PM   #12
jack

Sorry to get on a old post but ford has allways had a problem with there plugs for electric stuff(alt, blower motor , headlight switch). I would make sure the plugs are clean and making good contact. They also make a grease to put on the plugs.
Hypertech Programmer
Metco Idler Pulleys
Magnaflow Exhaust
Next Ported S/C
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:47 PM   #13
andre96

He he he

Blew the doors off a Mercedes 600 SL...I guess 150,000 doesn't buy everything.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #14
jack

My mother has a 500SEL and it runs good for a luxury car. But for speed you cant beat a cobra.
Hypertech Programmer
Metco Idler Pulleys
Magnaflow Exhaust
Next Ported S/C
jack is offline   Reply With Quote