SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Pick your poison > American Iron/AV8SS/Grand Am Cup
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2004, 01:49 AM   #1
FCorkran

Old Fords never die, they just go faster...

I promised John I'd post progress updates on the Mystic Cobra, so here's one. Now that Christian's '66 is sitting on it's Toyo tires and approaching the first press of the starter button, I finally went to his place to work on my car yesterday.

The only wiring in the car now is the power/starter cables (coiled in the back seat area) and pigtails for the lights and ABS. Man, what a (heavy) mess. Judging by the number of cut wires in the harness and tie wraps I'd guess John tried to remove it before discovering the PATS tie-in to the computer. The date on the key reader makes me think the original was lost/destroyed in the first gutting attempt.

For sale: '96 Cobra ECM, complete set of PATS modules. If no one speaks for them there will be a PATS-burning party at the first race weekend that both John and I attend.

The car now has only number/class and Toyo decals. Oh, and I did leave the little Pyrotech decal on the roof covering that nasty roll cage install boo-boo. The NASA decals were getting pretty nasty, so new ones next year. I'll put one of them over the tie-wrap dent in the driver's door. As for the rest, space is for rent. Considering the attitude I got from MM when I asked for a little assistance, they'd have to pay a lot more than a small contingency to advertise on my car.

I'm still finalizing the design of the new electrical system, but the switches will go on a rollbar mounted panel in front of the shifter. Since I have to close the hole in the dash were the factory cluster was mounted I may make a panel for the gages there. The MSD will be mounted under the interior air inlet on the firewall. All the wiring will go through the hole that leads inside the right fender, except the ABS wiring which will go into the left fender, along with the Accusump line. Easier to cut out if they change the rules in the future. Then I can close all those holes through the firewall into the engine compartment.

Anybody have a recommendation for a bypass fuel pressure regulator that can take the output pressure of the stock in-tank pump and feed 5 psi to the carb? Or will I have to put an EFI bypass regulator in front of the tank plus a carb non-bypass regulator under the hood? I was going to use the mechanical fuel pump but using the in-tank saves me from dropping the tank, swapping in a carbed tank pickup and running fuel lines to the other side of the car. My motor had to be rebuilt shortly after I originally put it in my '83 because the rebuilt fuel pump decided to pump fuel into the oil as well as the carb. Too bad I didn't discover it until after a trip to Summit Point.

Another advantage of ditching the mechanical pump is that I can use an oil-water cooler I have available, originally off a 5.0L Explorer, I think. I noticed in the GRM article that Bryan is using the stock Cobra cooler, so it should do the job. Is the 4.6 Cobra cooler plumbed into the lower radiator hose like the Explorer, or the heater lines like the early Cobra/SS cooler? John, were you using the stock cooler, and/or did you have an air-air cooler?

Next is to get the motor/tranny/MSD/throttle cable out of the '83 and into the Cobra. De-tuning the 351W for AI will come later, but today I discovered that the former president of my Mustang club just installed a DynoJet 248 dyno in his shop, so now if I can get him added to the list of certified dyno stations... I know of at least 3 potential AI customers that live near his shop, besides myself.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:06 AM   #2
johnbasf

Send a message via AIM to johnbasf
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCorkran
I For sale: '96 Cobra ECM, complete set of PATS modules. If no one speaks for them there will be a PATS-burning party at the first race weekend that both John and I attend.

John, were you using the stock cooler, and/or did you have an air-air cooler?
I'm all for the PATS burning party!!!

I used the stock oil cooler. I think Will Sadler will jump in here and give some tips on oil cooling(Monday).

Thanks for the great write up Frank. Keep 'em coming. Good Luck

johnbasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
johnbasf

Hey Frank, got any pics of the pile of wire????

Old 11-26-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
FCorkran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbasf
Hey Frank, got any pics of the pile of wire????
No, but maybe I can get Christian to take some next week. He said he was going to borrow his work camera to take some more pics of his car. The harness pretty much filled a box that the Hedman longtube headers came in. Haven't weighed it but I'd guestimate 35 lbs. without the modules/ECM/cluster. They sure use some nice connectors these days!
Old 11-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #5
beerkat

It nice to know John that your car is getting a second chance at life. I know Frank wil get the most out of it and abuse it properly.

I was there the day the car broke and saw the look on John face. Breaking on the first event of the season, after being rookie of the year, had to be very hard.

Keep hoping to see John back on track, even if only at a HPDE with SCMC.

I have a thought, that's scary, John how about being my instuctor at the CMP event in March? I have never driven my Cobra for a HPDE and I bet I could learn a lot from you. I have sixpoint harnesses in the car so it might not be too bad to ride with me.
beerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:56 AM   #6
svt_coupe
Bryan Shugg

Send a message via AIM to svt_coupe
I'm all for the book... err... I mean... harness burning party.
#67 American Iron East
svt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 11:09 AM   #7
johnbasf

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt_coupe
I'm all for the book... err... I mean... harness burning party.
PATS was without a doubt a HUGE PITA!!!!!!

Old 11-29-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
svt_coupe
Bryan Shugg

Send a message via AIM to svt_coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbasf
PATS was without a doubt a HUGE PITA!!!!!!
Pats REMAINS a huge PITA!
#67 American Iron East
svt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #9
FCorkran

Here are pics of the wiring and components I removed. This is apparently the bare minimum to run the car. John already removed PW/PDL, CC, WW/W, etc.

http://tinypic.com/u0xnb

http://tinypic.com/u0z83

Anybody know what the big box in the upper left of the 2nd image is? It was in the left fender and weighs a couple pounds.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:34 AM   #10
johnbasf

Wow!!!! If that piece was in the passenger fender that's part of the ignition. CCRM-- Constant Control Relay Module http://tinypic.com/u0z83 This pic?

Thanks a ton for the updates Frank.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:52 PM   #11
FCorkran

Yeah, that pic. The box that's still attached by a large blue connector. What's a Constant Control Relay Module do? Seems like a lot of wires for just ignition.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:56 PM   #12
johnbasf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCorkran
Yeah, that pic. The box that's still attached by a large blue connector. What's a Constant Control Relay Module do? Seems like a lot of wires for just ignition.
It's tied into the engine and sends signals to the computer.IIRC

Just one big pain in the butt like the rest of that mess.

If you don't sell the PATS and cluster I REALLY want to take a 8lb sledgehammer to it.

Constant Control Relay Module

The constant control relay module (CCRM) interfaces with the Electronic EC system to provide vehicle power (VPWR) to the powertrain control module (PCM) and the Electronic EC system, and for the control of the cooling fan and A/C clutch. The CCRM also contains the fuel pump driver module (FPDM) power supply relay, which supplies power to the FPDM. If any of the internal components of the CCRM fail, the entire unit must be replaced. The descriptions of the specific CCRM functions, as well as the Dual Function A/C high pressure switch are found under the individual hardware - PCM inputs and outputs in this section.

Old 12-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #13
FCorkran

Yuk! If I use the electric pump it will be powered from a fused switch tied to battery power. Same for the fan. Maybe I'll put the crash cutoff switch back in the FP circuit, it's pretty light and much smaller than the old ones.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #14
johnbasf

Any updates Frank???

Old 01-02-2005, 11:28 PM   #15
FCorkran

Not really. The motor/tranny is almost ready to yank out of the '83. From preliminary measurements it should be no problem building a set of mounts to mate the Windsor to the K-member. All of the electrical parts arrived (switch panels, wiring, etc) and I mocked up the panel for the switches. My new seat is supposed to ship next week.

Most of the automotive work I got done this week was on Christian's '66. It sure felt good when we pushed it out of the garage, primed the carb and it lit off instantly. After the cam break-in run he rolled it down the hill, turned it around and launched it back into the garage. The car is officially built, now it just needs tuning and chassis setup. Oh, and it weighed in over 300 lbs lighter than we expected. Good thing he's running steel wheels, hood, etc. and left in the glass door windows!