SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > '03-'04 Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2005, 06:34 AM   #1
jjraiser

Impending Shelby Cobra Release!!!

I know this thread is premature, but I just saw the info on the upcoming SVT Sportrac. It is going to have an IRS. I just want to say it now, if the new Shelby Cobra has a solid rear axle, then I'm going to blow a gasket!!!

Not to mention the IRS, but the SVT Sportrac will also be designed to be lightweight. This next Cobra better have an IRS, and it better not be a hog! I have faith in Ford to build their premier mainstream sportscar like a sportcar, and not like a damn two-bit muscle car (read: heavy and clumbsy). If it's gonna compete on the track and in the showrooms with the big boys (Z06, Viper, etc.), it better not be the heavy, solid-axle car Motor Trend told us about in their March 2005 issue.

Anyone can build a muscle car. Will Ford build a solid sports car? That's the question that will be answered in the coming days at the New York International Auto Show.
jjraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
gnxs

Send a message via AIM to gnxs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjraiser
I know this thread is premature, but I just saw the info on the upcoming SVT Sportrac. It is going to have an IRS. I just want to say it now, if the new Shelby Cobra has a solid rear axle, then I'm going to blow a gasket!!!

Not to mention the IRS, but the SVT Sportrac will also be designed to be lightweight. This next Cobra better have an IRS, and it better not be a hog! I have faith in Ford to build their premier mainstream sportscar like a sportcar, and not like a damn two-bit muscle car (read: heavy and clumbsy). If it's gonna compete on the track and in the showrooms with the big boys (Z06, Viper, etc.), it better not be the heavy, solid-axle car Motor Trend told us about in their March 2005 issue.

Anyone can build a muscle car. Will Ford build a solid sports car? That's the question that will be answered in the coming days at the New York International Auto Show.
You mention it competing against Z06 Vettes and Vipers. I assume you wouldn't mind paying $65,000+ for this new lightweight Cobra then? All the stuff needed to make it lighter cost big bucks (carbon-fiber, titanium, etc.). The question is: Are you willing to big $$$$ pay for it and is that really Ford's target market for the new Cobra?

How hard would it be to build a solid rear axle Cobra and offer an optional IRS for more $$$? That would be the best of both worlds, although neither will be anywhere near the curb weight of the Z06/Viper.
2004 SVT Cobra (11.2-126)
gnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
jjraiser

To answer your question, I'd would love to pay $65K+ for a lightwieght, IRS Shelby Cobra. While I agree there is a major price difference between this upcoming Cobra and the Z06 / Viper, I still believe they are to compete for the same market share. I think the horsepower rating is one reason I believe Ford is setting its sights on the Z06 and Viper, not the GTO and Base Corvette.

However, let's assume the new Cobra will compete with the more price-comensurate GTO and Base Corvette. The new Shelby Cobra would still be out-classed if it gets a solid rear axle (SRA). These cars are to be driven on the street and an SRA will never handle as well as an IRS; especially with the horsepower we're talking about.

As far as weight, a lightweight car doesn't mean a higher price. The very light Z06 is cheaper than the Viper. The Viper weighs about 3400+ lbs. and costs $80K+. The new Z06 is about 300lbs lighter and probably about $10K cheaper. (I do love the new Z06!).

I do agree an option for SRA or IRS would be a great way to go, but I don't think that'll be the case. I also agree this new Cobra likely won't be lightweight. Although, I don't believe it would be too difficult to build a Cobra nearly as light as the Viper as the Viper just isn't light considering it's a two-seater with an all-aluminum engine (okay, a really big, all-aluminum engine). A Shelby Cobra R is likely my dream car.

It just chaps my arse to think Ford would have a lightweight, IRS design for a truck and not their top, mainstream sportscar!! I think Ford has their head up their arse if this turns out to be true.

We'll find out very soon, ay?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
RF Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjraiser
Not to mention the IRS, but the SVT Sportrac will also be designed to be lightweight.
I'm not sure where you got that the SVT Sport Trac is going to be light. The only thing light about it is that it will weigh less than a full size truck.

The Shelby GT 500 is using the same suspension as the Ford Racing Mustangs according to what I saw earlier from Ford.
RF Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
jjraiser

I didn't suggest it would be light. I said it is a lightweight design. Sure, it's a truck and it by definition won't be light. But, Ford intends to design the truck to be lighter than other trucks. Read the story at stangnet.com to see what they mean.

I would be pissed if Ford used a more sport handling design for a truck than the Cobra. If the rumors of a an SRA are true, I think Ford is designing its trucks to handle better than other trucks, than its designing the Cobra to handle better than other sportscars. As far as weight, the Mustang GT is hardly light at 3500+lbs. I think this new Cobra could hit 3600+lbs. I hope the rumors and I are wrong and Ford has an IRS Cobra weighing under 3500 pounds. We'll see...

As far as the Shelby Cobra having the same suspension as the Ford Racing Mustangs, where did you hear that from Ford? Are you saying it will have an IRS or SRA? Are you talking about the Grand Am Mustangs?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
RF Cobra

The weight savings come from it being built on the smaller Ranger platform used for the Sport Trac compared to using a full size truck platform like the Lightning and others are using.

"In terms of performance, the Mustang's solid rear axle setup in the GT500 has been proven in race competition this year with a Mustang FR500C taking the checkered flag at the season-opening Grand-Am Cup race at Daytona," says Thai-Tang. "First race, first win; not bad against the best from Germany and Japan."

Ford's media release details the info. They took it down yesterday but it is back up now. http://media.ford.com/products/press...421&make_id=92
RF Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
davelegguy

go to ford website

the svt sporttrac is being built on the explorer chassi with our engine, should be a fun ride. The new cobra does have an sra The head of svt says you need to drive one before you pass judgement. You should be able to put an entire aftermarket suspension (with irs on the 07 for less than 10 k when the sema guys get cranking on it)
davelegguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #8
crunchit

Looks pretty hot. can you guys see the cobra emblem all the way on the drivers side?

Steeda T56 shifter
Steeda Springs
477.9 RWHP (std)
511.4 RWTQ (std)
Modena ROH 3 piece Wheels 19x10.5 (r), 19x9(f)