SCMC Message Forum

SCMC Message Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Shine (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Motor detailing question (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18347)

tpres 04-12-2011 09:11 PM

Motor detailing question

What does everyone use to make their engines shine?I need to detail mine and i dont know what to use.Thanks for any information.

cobrabitn 04-12-2011 11:18 PM

Maybe Rich can give you some better insight as he owns a 98 Chrome Yellow Cobra, too. :)

nckissfan 04-13-2011 08:09 AM

here is what I do.

1. 50/50 solution of Simple Green, spray it all over and let it sit. Take a paint brush to get down in the nooks if needed.

2. Spray off with water

3. Spray the entire engine bay with a No Touch Tire Spray, close hood and wait 15 minutes

4. Wipe off any excess residue from tire spray. :thumbsup:

Flagman 04-13-2011 05:28 PM

I'm afraid that I wouldn't be much help. We bought the car new and it's never been an "every day" car. I've only used water and a damp rag to wipe the dust off. Maybe a little Zaino tire dressing on the hoses & plastic ducts/covers occasionally.

I do wipe down the engine compartment every time the car gets washed to keep the dirt & grime from getting out of hand.

tpres 04-14-2011 07:24 PM

All good ideas,im gonna try them all and see what i like best.Thanks for the help guys!!!

nckissfan 04-14-2011 09:30 PM

if you use my method once, then it gets a lot easier from there, depending on how much your drive the car, and what conditions you drive the car in.

tpres 04-14-2011 10:15 PM

Its all this dang pollen im dealing with right now.I have it in storage and its still getting through the doors somehow.:(

Turbotim45 07-07-2011 04:37 PM

Motor Detailing

I have used tire gloss and also a product called Perfect Purple which creates a nice shine and it seems to last longer than other silicone based products.

BTW, I have a 1998 chrome yellow mustang and I am in Greensboro...have lived in Kville in the past.

Question for you. What kind of wheels and what size are you using? I have a damaged wheel ( a little altercation with a curb). I want to go with 18 inch wheels and tires but there are so many to choose from.

Also, anybody found the best way to keep the stock wheels shining?

Turbotim.

cobrabitn 07-07-2011 09:01 PM

I like the 98 wheels but if I had to switch, I'd go with a 17 inch polished Terminator wheel. The problem you will have when you go to a wider tire and rim combination, the front wheels will stick out. I put 98 Cobra wheels on my Pace Car so I could preserve the Pace Car wheels. They only made 1000 of them and the wheels are unique to that car.

cj03SVT 08-18-2011 12:40 AM

I use Eagle One protectant (you can buy at Walmart or wherever) and one of the small microfiber applicator pads. Works great for me.

nckissfan 08-18-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbotim45 (Post 222946)
I have used tire gloss and also a product called Perfect Purple which creates a nice shine and it seems to last longer than other silicone based products.

BTW, I have a 1998 chrome yellow mustang and I am in Greensboro...have lived in Kville in the past.

Question for you. What kind of wheels and what size are you using? I have a damaged wheel ( a little altercation with a curb). I want to go with 18 inch wheels and tires but there are so many to choose from.

Also, anybody found the best way to keep the stock wheels shining?

Turbotim.

I, too, live in Greensboro area. I am running 95R wheels in silver. Depending on what kind of wheel you get for wheel care. I just wash mine with regular car wash, then put some Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant on them. 18 inch tires are pricey, so if money might be a issue, then you may want to look further into it.